:)

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, March 22, 2013

.::The Naked Finn::.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE food and trying out eateries is my favourite weekend activity. So, I've decided that I will blog about the eating places I go to if I do happen to find a good one :)

This restaurant I am going to blog about was introduced to me by my sis. She had been raving about it ever since she had her company team dinner there and I finally gave it a try on a Friday night.

The Naked Finn
41 Malan Road, Gillman Barracks, Singapore 109454
T +65 6694 0807 (call after 4pm)
www.nakedfinn.com

Reservations is highly recommended as the place is extremely small. There's only 2 tables inside and 6 tables outside. It is only open for dinner so seats are very limited if you want to sit in the air-conditioned area.

The Naked Finn's menu is very simple, only cocktails and seafood but oh boy, they do it really well!

As the name suggests, the seafood is served "naked". The chef does not use heavy sauces or condiments to hide the freshness of their seafood but instead tries to use simple ingredients to bring out the flavourful-ness of their fresh ingredients. YUM.

There were 3 of us that day and we ordered the set dinner for 2 to share as well as 2 ala carte dishes. IMO, the set dinner for 2 ($128) is more worth it than the set dinner of 1 ($88) as there are more courses. The set for 2 is actually enough for 3 pax. We felt really full at the end of all the courses and we are not small eaters hehe. The set dinner is really worth the price as there's so many kinds of seafood!!!

Free flow bee hoon to fulfill any carbs cravings. The bee hoon is a bit tangy, I believe it's tossed with vinegar or lime juice. It's served chilled like a salad appetizer. Very addictive! Chilled blanched kangkong tossed in freshly-squeezed kalamansi juice and shallot oil is also part of the set but this is very blah compared to the rest of the dishes. You wouldn't expect a seafood place to serve such local dishes like pan-fried bee hoon and kang kong but the bee hoon really goes so well with the rest of the meal.

 photo IMG_0249_zps20354f8c.jpg

Ala carte dishes - Diver-caught great Atlantic scallop ceviche and Escargot in butter sauce

The scallop sashimi is very fresh and the escargot so sinful with it being baked in butter.

 photo IMG_0250_zps24e8cf0a.jpg photo IMG_0253_zpscfe251d6.jpg

Set dishes below:

1. Lightly grilled live pod razor clam drizzled with hot shallot oil and fried shallots - this is 1 of the star. (I have 2 top favourite dishes in the set meal, this is 1 of them) the fried shallots are crispy and goes well with the perfectly grilled razor clam. Meat is not too tough or rubbery.

 photo IMG_0252_zpsfbbe3a78.jpg

2. Live Japanese littleneck clams boiled in barramundi stock (soup) - the clams are the plumpest I have seen, sis commented that the soup is a bit fishy tasting but I find it quite acceptable

 photo IMG_0254_zps48c5e67e.jpg

3. Grilled baby Indian squids with sea salt and extra virgin olive oil - this is the other star. This dish changed my view on sea salt forever. I tried my 1st squid without the sea salt and it's very good. But, I dabbed some sea salt on my 2nd squid and zomg, it's mind-blowing. The sea salt brought out the smoky flavour of the grilled squid, food-gasm =p

 photo IMG_0257_zpsfbe6959f.jpg

4. Flambé live giant tiger prawns with white wine and garlic - nothing much to comment on this dish because it just taste like 白灼虾 to me, but it's fresh and good quality.

 photo IMG_0258_zps795b8fb8.jpg

5. Pan-fried barramundi fillet with sea salt and extra virgin oil - another hot favourite among us. The skin is super crispy but the flesh still remain very moist and melts in your mouth. I dunno how they pan fry the skin but it's just like eating a fish skin cracker haha.

 photo IMG_0259_zps3a29c2a7.jpg

6. Grilled African lobster - by this course, we were already super full haha. We had a 2nd serving of the bee hoon cause it's too addictive. Probably all that carbs filled us up. But of course we still made space for the lobster! Meat is sweet and of the right firmness.

 photo IMG_0261_zps5fe10a44.jpg

Including the kang kong, there's 7 courses. I will say $128 is reasonable in Singapore context for the quality and quantity of food we got at Naked Finn.

The cocktails are also their specialty. Most of their cocktails are fruit-based, they will use fresh fruits to make sorbet and blend it with various alcohol. I ordered a rockmelon Cointreau concoction ($18) and sis ordered a lychee something ($18). Both were very potent, lots of alcohol added, I like! haha ;)

The cocktails were so good that I cannot resist ordering another one, Kyoho grape with Calpis and vodka ($20). The kyoho grape cocktail taste the best! I had a hard time choosing my drinks cause every one of them sounded so good. They have orange, pink guava, finished with Cointreau and Kronenbourg Blanc ($18), as well as the calamansi- and sour plum-infused syrup with vodka ($18) and tasty mango, orange and rum ($18). I wish I can try all of them!

Kyoho grape cocktail

 photo IMG_0256_zps274628bd.jpg

The restaurant décor - very simplistic as you can see. Similar to a greenhouse concept and they used plastic panes instead of glass walls and the light will reflect off the plastic panes at night. very romantic :)

 photo IMG_0263_zps6236406c.jpg

I will definitely go back again as I read they will change the menu often depending on which items are in season. And also to try the other cocktails that so appeal to me :)))

No comments: